The turn of a new year presents the perfect opportunity to re-evaluate your health and wellness routine. By setting new goals and intentions for yourself, you can not only improve your health, but also boost your happiness. After all, when you feel good and have less pain, it’s often easier to be in a better mood. In fact, studies show that there is a direct correlation between pain and mood: Stress and anxiety can cause physical pain and tension to manifest, whereas pain can cause depression and irritability. There are steps you can take, however, to break this cycle. By finding effective ways to boost your health and wellness, you can also boost your happiness.
Today, we will look at a few healthy habits to practice in the new year to do just that. If you have questions or want to schedule an appointment for gentle chiropractic (no twist) care, reach out to your Top Rated Local® Overland Park chiropractor. At Adjust Your Health, we offer chiropractic and massage for neck and back pain relief, sciatica relief, as well as whiplash treatment and so much more.
Tips To Achieve A Healthier, Happier You
Walking your way to health has many benefits. In our recent article, 5 Benefits of Walking that Every Chiropractic Patient Should Know, we explored these benefits, which include:
- Help with weight management and weight loss
- Better mobility and flexibility
- Relief from back pain
- Improved circulation (which also reduces blood pressure)
Walking for at least 30 minutes a day reduces pain and stress on the spine. Additionally, walking is a great way to invigorate your mental and emotional well-being, especially when you walk outside. The fresh air, scenery, and sunshine can really help boost your mood and help you refocus.
We all experience stress, but there are healthy ways to manage stress. When we feel stressed, the body’s natural response is to tense up, which can cause pain, stiffness, and limit movements. But making a few small changes to your routine can have a big and lasting impact. Here are some hints for relieving stress:
- Avoid or limit consuming stimulants like caffeine and nicotine.
- Avoid consuming refined sugars.
- Stay active to regulate the body’s “fight or flight” response.
- Get better sleep.
- Schedule regular chiropractic and massage treatments.
- Keep a journal to express and record your thoughts and emotions.
Get Better Sleep
Getting better sleep can help reduce stress, but it can also improve your health and mood. By creating a normal bedtime routine, you can improve your sleep to get deeper, restful sleep. Here are some tips to consider for improving sleep:
- Increase calm and relaxation before bedtime by stretching, taking a warm bath, using calming essential oils like lavender, reading, or sipping soothing herbal tea.
- Try to go to bed around the same time each night to get your body on a routine.
- Avoid drinking caffeine after 2 pm.
- Don’t go to bed on a full stomach.
- Limit screen time before bed to reduce visual and mental stimulation and eye strain.
- Make your bedroom a soothing, serene oasis.
Make More Time For Wellness Care
At Adjust Your Health Chiropractic, we believe your health and wellness are of the utmost importance. Gentle chiropractic care is a safe and effective treatment to not only help the body heal from injuries, but to also provide long-lasting pain relief, and prevent illness and disease. By aligning the spine, the nervous system can function better, thereby supporting and strengthening other systems in the body that improve and maintain overall health. When the spine is properly aligned, the body can feel better and move better, allowing patients to experience a reduction in pain. When your body is happy, your mood often is, too!
Find out how gentle chiropractic wellness care can help you feel your best this year. Call your trusted Overland Park chiropractor to arrange an appointment. Until next time, thank you so much for reading!
Dr. Christina 🙂